There Are an Increasing Number of Drug Overdose Deaths in Pittsburgh & Western PA
|Things You Can Do Until Medical Help Arrives|
Where to Turn for Help and Additonal Information Links
- Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare Substance Abuse Services - Need Help? There are a wide variety of substance and alcohol abuse services available to children and adults in Pennsylvania. Community substance abuse programs are administered through county program offices called Single County Authorities (SCAs.) The county SCA determines a person's eligibility for service funding, assesses the need for treatment or other services, and makes referrals to appropriate programs to match treatment and/or service needs.
- PA 2-1-1 Southwest - FREE resource and information hub that connects people with community, health and disaster services in 11 counties through a free, 24/7 confidential phone service and this website. Search keyword "overdose."
- Prevention Point Pittsburgh - Prevention Point Pittsburgh (PPP), a non-profit organization, aims to promote and advocate for the reduction of harm associated with injection drug use and reduce the risk of HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, and other blood borne infections.
- Message Carriers of Pennsylvania, Inc. - Advocay and recovery services for individuals and families impacted by addiction and/or mental health disorders. Find the information you need about the changes affecting Pennsylvania residents, our healthcare system and the recovery community due to the Affordable Care Act. Learn how to navigate the new healthcare laws. FAQs will answer the major questions you have and help you understand healthcare reform in Pennsylvania. Resources and Videos help you to understand what the Affordable Care Act means for you and how to apply.
- The Opioid Overdose Toolkit (SAMSA) - The Toolkit, developed by the Department of Health and Human Services, provides information on overdose prevention, treatment and recovery for first responders, prescribers, and patients.
- The Pennsylvania Alliance for Safe and Drug Free Children - Drug prevention resources for parents and community.
The Role of Nalaxone
Nalaxone is a drug used to counter the effects of opioid overdose (more info here). This video provides easy training on opioid safety and how to use naloxone: